What’s better than playing video games? Playing video games and drinking! With a plethora of drinking games out there I decided to collect some of the best ones that you can try on game night.
1. Mario Kart 64 (or any Mario Kart)
I’m going to assume you have a copy of Mario Kart laying around, whether it be the gold standard Mario Kart 64, my personal favorite Double Dash, or one of the various other games. It’s a staple of gaming parties and here’s a way to turn it into one of the best drinking games:
- Before playing everyone must open their beer and place it at their feet (no drinking yet!)
When the light turns green you have two options:
- Drink as much beer as you can.
- Get as far as possible.
The goal is to finish their beer before finishing the final lap. However you CAN’T DRINK AND DRIVE AT THE SAME TIME. Which means it becomes a race to either chug your beer or get as far as possible, I’m sure there’s a strategy somewhere but after a few rounds it becomes total chaos.
This is of course inspired by the simpsons episode:
Marge: Homer, don’t drink and drive!
Homer: Fine, I’ll drive between sips.
2. Super Smash Bros. (Based off Melee but N64/Brawl should work too)
This one is fairly similar to the Mario Kart drinking game. To set it up make sure you’re on sudden death mode, or have the handicaps set to 300% for each character. The goal is to chug your beer before you’re allowed to pick up the controller and start fighting.
- Start the game with your controllers at your feet and beer in hand.
- You can’t pick up the controller until you’ve chugged your beer.
- Last man standing wins.
Now you could use shots if you aren’t a fan of beer, or beer shots if you don’t want to get drunk as quickly. But this gives you the basic instructions for a sudden death drinking game.
If you want the match to last a little longer you could also set it to a stock game with normal settings and one life.
3. Dark Souls
The obvious one for a Dark Souls drinking game is to take a shot and pass the controller every time you die. There is, of course, a more involved drinking game that ends up being more fun. There’s actually a website that takes into account how many players, their skill level, and numerous other variables to give you a list of rules for drinking while playing. Here’s the basics:
- You die, you drink.
- Failure to reclaim souls, take 2 drinks.
- Environmental death, take 2 drinks.
- Kill a boss, take a victory drink!
- Light/use a bonfire, take a drink.
With each death you hand the controller to the player beside you. To avoid alcohol poisoning its not recommended you try this by yourself.
4. Goldeneye 007 (N64)
It might be outdated by today’s standards, but GoldenEye on the N64 was one of the first great shooters. There is an HD remake that will work just as well, but for nostalgic reasons we recommend going old school. Here are the rules:
- Drink every time you die.
- Drink double every time you die by explosion or suicide.
- The winner gets to pick someone to take three drinks.
- All rules are tripled if you play as Oddjob for being a cheating bastard.
- If you die by a slap/hand chop drink in shame continuously until you forget why you’re drinking.
If you can think of a pun for this title please leave it in the comments…I’d really like to add it.
5. Sonic The Hedgehog (works with any Sonic sidescroller)
This one is basic enough to work with a lot of games, but I think Sonic works especially well.
- If you take any damage take a drink.
- If you get a Game Over finish your drink.
- Hard Mode: Drink any time Tails takes damage.
Hard mode is…well if you’ve played the game I’m sure you know how much Tails loves taking damage. If you want to make things a little easier you can change it so everytime you take damage and don’t get your rings back you take a drink.
Are there any video game drinking games I’ve missed? Let us know in the comments and I might do a part 2 if we get some good ones.